A newborn born at the Max Super Specialty Hospital located in Shalimar Bagh, in New Delhi India was declared dead two hours later by two doctors who have now been relieved of their jobs based on this mistake.
According to his grandfather, Praveen Malik who spoke to CNN, the newborn was a twin, but his sister was pronounced a stillborn.
The heartbroken parents observed “some movements” on their way to cremate the babies who were put in polythene bags that the hospital gave them.
“When we opened the bag, we found the boy breathing. I was shocked. I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Malik said.
The hospital previously said in a statement that the boy was “handed over without any sign of life” by the hospital staff.
The boy is still in a critical condition in hospital, according Dr. Sandeep Gupta, from the Delhi New Born Centre where the baby is now receiving treatment.
“He is on ventilator support, nutrition support and other supports. We are managing to maintain his vitals at the moment but the condition is very serious,” Gupta said.
In a statement released late Sunday evening, Max Healthcare stated that the decision to relieve the two doctors of their jobs should not be interpreted as an admission of guilt.
“We wish to clarify that this action should not presuppose finding of any lapse by the expert group and should not be construed in any way to be anything other than an expression of our continued commitment to providing quality healthcare,” the statement from Max Healthcare said.
An investigation by an external group of experts is expected has been concluded on Monday.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also tweeted saying authorities would take the “strongest action” if someone is culpable.
“We want the Delhi government to take strict action against the hospital authorities for their negligence,” the grandfather of the baby stated.