Two friends identified as Muobuikwu Ujur, a fashion designer and her friend Nkiru Anozie have been killed after accidentally breathing in toxic fumes from an electricity generator.
The corpses were reportedly found Tuesday morning, 12th of December, on the floor of a shop situated at Second East Circular road in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State.
Sources disclosed that Anozie was invited by Muobuikwu, who owned the shop and had solicited her assistance in making some clothes which would last into the night in order to meet up with the time given by her clients. She proceeding to switch on the generating set, to aid their work at night.
Her brother identified as Chukwudi while confirming the incident revealed that his sister had called him on Monday, but he was unable to reach her when he tried to return the call.
“I got a call from my sister at about 2pm when she complained that her friend was getting weak. I told her to give her anointing oil. Minutes later, I put a call to her mobile phone to know the situation of things but she did not pick my call. So, I came here this morning and we invited the police to force the door open and that was it.”
Also confirming the incident, the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Johnson Kokumo, stated that initial intelligence report showed that the women were killed by the toxic fumes inhaled, which had emanated from the generator.
“I think they were fashion designers who must have been working all night to, probably, meet up with the demands of their customers this Yuletide,” he said.
“Maybe they (deceased) had a lot of things to get done for their customers and slept where the generator was on. So, they eventually died of the fumes of the generator. I think they did not know. We will embark on public enlightenment to enlighten members of the public that it is dangerous to the health.” Kokumo added.