The April holidays are here and you are wondering what to feed the children with while they are at home all day. Being away from your kids for work or another reason, you may want to stock healthy and nutritious foods around the house, to ensure that whatever goes into the kiddies bodies, in moderation of course is in fine fettle.
- Oatmeal: known to be filling, rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and potassium. Other health benefits of the meal are that it has a high soluble fiber content that helps lower cholesterol levels. It is a great source of energy.
- Fish: one of the oldest memory boosters according to research. In addition they are a good natural source of energy. Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, there are a variety of fish to choose from. These are tilapia, salmon, tuna melts and even sardines (Omena) which are also very rich in calcium and healthy ions.
- Apples: There is a reason they say an apple a day keeps the doctor away. One of the many reasons is that an apple is a source of antioxidants which battles free radicals. It has also been labeled “the miracle fruit” because of its ability to reduce cholesterol levels over a period of time.
- Avocados: You may be running away from avocados due to the myth of their high fat content but it is quite the opposite. Avocados are rich in high fiber content, vitamins B, K &E and they are known to be rich in healthy fats.
- Nuts: macadamias, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews and even groundnuts are a healthy snack option. Having them mixed helps the child like the nuts better. This only applies if your child is not allergic to nuts and is old enough to eat them correctly. They should be eaten under the supervision for their known choking hazard.
- Protein bars: due to the high growth spurt and excessive activity, children tend to have high protein requirement than adults. Homemade or purchased, protein bars are excellent for reenergizing after rigorous activity and before a meal.
- Whole meal biscuits: in case you would like the kids to have a little junk food then this is a good option. Reason being that they can have it both ways; a nutritious snack with healthy water soluble fiber rich in complex carbs.
- Lastly, water may not necessarily be a type of food but it is one of the most essential components in any human body and especially for kids. You may want to stock up on more clean drinking water. Water is an energy booster and is a natural cleanser.